Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fun with ears, and hope.

Yesterday I flew out to this Dueling gig I do from time to time. I arrived at the airport at 1:30 after a short flight from La Guardia, and the club owner come out to pick me up and drop me off at my hotel. It's a very nice business hotel and I always enjoy staying here. I didn't have to work until 8, so I basically hung out in the room, on the phone, surfing the Internet and spending 2 hours in the bathroom, taking care of those pesky once-a-month ablutions such as plucking hair out of unseemly places on your ear (not to be confused with the "seemly" places for hair on your ear). Actually that's not completely accurate. This might have been a once a month occurrence 5 years ago. Now it's more or less a twice-a-week follicular affair. I wonder what the biological imperative is for ear hair. Is there an ear-hair gene that stays dormant for 30 years, just waiting for some special hormonal signal that says, "Grow, baby, grow!"? Perhaps as we get older, and our circulation becomes worse, our body protects it's um ears with coarse black hair.

While in the middle of my aural pluckage, the entertainment director from the club I did last weekend in New England called with 5 more dates and gave me a very nice referral to another club. I also got an interesting text from yet another ED that makes me believe that there will be even more work in the very near future. I'll know more in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile, there may be some good news for my prison pen pal. After I mailed him recounting the problems I had getting my name on his visitor list, he put a request in for clarification, because he knew that he had not modified it, and therefore should be able to ad my name immediately. The clarification came back saying that yes, in fact it was a clerical error. So when I received this information from him, I called the prison back and was told that he needs to resubmit my name for his visitor's list. I told them that he probably didn't realize this and asked if he could be notified of this requirement quickly, as I will be flying down the following week. I was connected to the chaplain's office, and the chaplain promised me he would take care of it. That was Monday. Well before I left for my current gig on Friday, I called again and I still am not on the visitor list. And the records people have no request from the inmate. So I asked to be connected to the chaplain's office again, where I was told that the chaplain I had spoken to on Monday was out sick all week. So I asked the other chaplain to take care of this, and she promised me she would. I will call again on Monday. What a rigmarole!

No comments: