Sunday, April 25, 2010

booking the summer

I have been talking to two venues for a few months now, either of which would have made for an interesting summer. One was in a coastal resort town in Mexico, which would have been great fun, and the other was much closer to home in a resort on the jersey shore. Both jobs would have taken up most of the summer, and so I stopped booking other dueling gigs to see what would happen with these two. It turns out that both of them fell through, and I was way behind on booking my summer schedule as a result.

So, one morning as I was having my customary cup of French roast, sitting in front of my computer in my underwear, I sent out 5 emails to clubs and agents I work with, explaining that I was seeking to book May, June and July. By 10pm, I had confirmed 8 weekends of work in 5 different clubs.

This is light years away from where I was only 1 year ago when I would struggle with each booking, as I was only beginning to establish my reputation as a dueler. This day, being able to secure so much work with so little effort, is an arrival of sorts. I’ve been working so hard over the past 3 years at this, that it’s nice to get such a material recognition of my accomplishments.

No comments: