Friday, June 27, 2008

The Turtles at St. Louis City Museum

If any of you remember my entry on March 9, it was about seeing two tortoises mating on the National Geographic Channel. Well this is the strangest thing. I had two days off from my piano gig and drove to St. Louis, MO where I knocked around for a couple days. It was suggested that I not miss the City Museum, and indeed when I went there I found it great fun. There is an aquarium within the Museum and there are 5 turtles living together. When I came upon them they were decidedly busy with each other as the picture below that I took with my phone will show:One of the cleaning ladies came over next to me and we both watched with fascination as these two pair of turtles had at each other, while a 5th (male) turtle stood just behind the two couples, no doubt waiting his turn. We could hear grunt-like noises coming from them as the shells knocked about and the males' necks strained out of the shells as they came closer and closer to turtle nirvana. As the grunting and knocking got louder, I took this picture:Just for clarity, and since i am nothing if not helpful, I will magnify this picture so you can see the back of the female turtle on the right (bottom):There it is for all to see. THE MONEY SHOT! Notice the drool that the cad has left all over her pretty little back as he...um....fertilizes her eggs. And within 30 seconds of the drool appearing on her back, the male has disappeared, as you can see in the following picture, after riding her hard and putting her away wet. The turtle actually moved faster to get away from his date once he was finished, than he ever did during his carnalities. Some things are universal, yes?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVING THE TURTLES....THE CLOSE-UP IS REALLY SWEET!...WINK WINK