Sunday, February 22, 2009

Virginia Dueling Pianos

A blog is like a pet. You must feed it regularly or it dies. If you stop writing for a long time, regular readers forget to tune in. So, my apologies to my regulars (about 5-8 readers per day, my counter program tells me). I have been traveling for work and then a quick vacation down to Florida before driving back up to NY. Some highlights:

I arrived at my gig in VA to find to my great surprise that my Aunt had drove down all the way from Philly to see my show. My cousin, (my aunt's daughter), was also there with her new beau. Also going on that night, I had hired a videographer to tape the show. I had my hands full, but it was a good night and I did a good show, working with a partner I had never met before. I was a bit intimidated by my partner as he had been a studio musician for many years, and has been dueling since the late 80's. But, even though he was more musically accurate (by far) than me, I have come to realize over the past 6 months that my energy, my voice and my likability on stage is just as good, and many times, better than duelers with much more experience than my paltry one year in this gig. It also makes me a great partner. I say all of this with great modesty, as I am fully aware of how much I have to learn from these veterans and how much I have to practice to compensate for my lack of experience.

I was happy to get the show video'd as it was a good one, but the camera man had a bit of a hissy fit the following day and deleted our files from the removable hard drives that we had provided him after he had spent all morning loading these hidef files onto them. Big, long drama that, as of yet does not have a good ending. I'm still trying to retrieve those files, so we'll see how that goes.

My friend and I headed out on the road the morning after my gigs were over, and I drove for 12 consecutive hours until we reached Orlando at 10pm and after a well deserved steak dinner that I had been craving for about 200 miles, we checked in to our hotel and crashed.

More later. Time to do taxes!

No comments: