Thursday, September 22, 2011

Budapest guest house

First of all it's pronounced BUHD-a-peSHt, with an SH sound before the last "T". The city is divided geographically by the Danube River, which separates Buda from Pest. I stayed on the Pest side which has a more happening nightlife scene. I rented a room at a guesthouse online while I was still in New York City on a break from a Dueling Piano gig. When I arrived at the building, I had to take an antique tiny 2-person elevator up the 4 floors to my "guesthouse". I entered a very large apartment, and was shown to my room. It looked like something that a minor Hungarian nobleman from 1850 might have been lived in. It was very Gothic with lots of tapestries, over-sized
furniture, a full scale reproduction of Michelangelo's David, marble pedestals, ornamental accents, lots of brass candle sconces and a 9 foot tall glazed ceramic wood burning stove that looked like a piece of art. It was in a very old building that housed large apartments surrounding a courtyard. My windows faced the courtyard and because I wasn't on the top floor, I didn't get that much light, which added to the already slightly spooky effect.

Every time you entered the guest house you needed to key in, and then when you shut the door from the inside you needed to use your key to lock it. The same hassle for the beedroom door, except with a key and lock that was from the late 17th century, and that I never did get the handle of. 

The only thing missing was a grand piano, vampires and organ music. I shall put that on my online review.

No comments: