Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Fresh beginning

It's been way too long since I updated my blog, and I've been inspired to write again. As most of my readers know, I now make my living as a Dueling Piano player. It's been over four years since I saw my first dueling piano show in Austin Texas. Since then I have completely devoted myself to this craft, and now I can say that I more or less know what I'm doing. If you look at some of my past entries on this blog you know some of my struggles and obstacles as I tried to master this very specific and unique entertainment form. Well, I continue to try to master it with every new performance and every new dueling pianist that I meet.

I travel pretty much every weekend now, flying in on Thurs to some town or city in the Midwest, or the south, doing a show Thurs night, Fri night and Saturday night, and then fly back home to New York City where I spend 4 days at home, before doing it all over again. I've shared the stage with over 100 dueling piano players over the past 4 years, and have learned something from most everyone of them, even the bad ones.

Today I am flying over to Berlin. I was invited to play on a major cruise line as part of a dueling piano headliner act for 7 weeks out of Barcelona. I've already done this gig on this ship, but in the Caribbean. This will be different as the crowds are more European. I didn't think the Dueling Piano format would work in Europe but every one of my colleagues that have done this gig before me tell me differently, so I'm excited to see how it works. I don't sign on the ship until the 25th, but the cruise has agreed to fly me over 2 weeks early so I can explore Europe before I begin my contract. So I will be blogging about my travels. Feel free to make comments.

No comments: