Friday, January 25, 2008

All Speech is a Lie

Yesterday I went to the Village Zendo, a Zen Buddhist temple I go to for meditation, and heard a dharma talk on one of the precepts of Zen Buddhism, specifically, it says: "Don't Lie". (Now please, dear readers {all 3 of you, I imagine}, don't think for a single errant second, that I, the irreverent one, the grand agnosticator and hater of all things done or said in ignorance in the name of God or religion, am, or ever will, proselytize to anyone. That's not my intent. I am just chronicling my experiences.) What was really interesting was the teacher said that in the subtlest sense that all speech is a lie. The Zen Buddhists believe that the only reality is in the present moment. And they break it down to a mere instant. So by the time you have processed a thought in your brain and begun to speak about it, that truth is no longer relevant because now you are in an altogether different instant in time, with it's own truths that are different than those of the instant in time (a few seconds ago, perhaps) that you are speaking of. Of course, don't believe me, because this is now a different moment. Maybe that's not true anymore.

No comments: