Thursday, January 24, 2008

Humility

I have been working with another pianist/singer for the past 7 months or so, doing a dueling piano rock & roll act. His name is Paul, and he is really quite incredible. He has an outstanding ear, uncanny really, and a musical intuitiveness that is quite rare. I have been soaking up as much as I can from him, but it is really quite humbling. I have always preferred to surround myself with people that are more skilled than I am so that I can learn from them. That being said, it is the type of thing that makes you step back and take a really deep breath as you force yourself to look realistically at your own limitations. Yesterday I asked him to instruct me on soloing on the blues, which is the basis of much of the Rock that we play. Throughout the hour I was forced again and again to stare down my own limits musically. Which I know is kind of the point. How can you expand your limitations if you can't identify them first? But it's still disheartening at times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try not to be so critical of yourself. You're a wonderful talented musician.
A French chef learning the art of Italian cuisine would feel the same limitations...there's no rush...enjoy the moment and enjoy the ride as you venture into this new musical arena..and it is "Leroy Brown had learned his lesson bout a messin with the wife of a jealous man...' :-)
and the beat goes on!