Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cool friends

So it's 6:30pm Easter and I just returned from a friend's Easter party. He's always doing something, and he'd definately one of the ultra cool set here in NYC. So I rearranged my schedule to go to his "Easter Brunch." He lives in one of the sweetest spaces I've seen here in Manhattan, with cathedral ceilings and lots of open space in a 5 story townhouse in the east 60's. I normally don't like to drink while it's still daylight, but I made an exception and began drinking Bellini's, which are a mixture of champagne and peach, at 2pm. Some people I knew and some I didn't. He has some pretty fancy friends, and there was more than one tucked chin and lifted brow in the set. As it was Easter, he had Easter eggs "hidden" in plain sight, wrapped in cool easter paisley fabrics which we were supposed to "find" and open. Inside the wrappings were easter eggs and some of them had notes, such as "kiss the chef", or "lunch with the host" or "stay and help clean after the party", while others had money in the wrappers alongside the eggs. What a cool idea for an adult easter party. And New York holiday parties are pretty cool in general because you never know who will meet. Many New Yorkers are far from their families, so in such settings it's almost as though you have an adopted family for the few hours you are together. I spent a while chatting with a woman who runs a hedge fund and is an expert in Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), which I have a passing interest in. I got to catch up with some friends and the host and I got into a showdown where we tried to out do each other with (of all things) Sophie Tucker jokes. Then I found $100 bill in my Easter egg wrapping!!!....and then we all got to hunt for a second one. Another $20!!! Yay! It was the first party I have been where I wasn't entertaining, and yet still got paid! Now I'm back home, shaking off the Bellini's and thinking about writing a thank you note to my host and heading downstairs to the gym.

Sophie Tucker: I was in bed with my boyfriend Ernie and he said to me, "Soph" (he always calls me Soph), he said to me "Soph, you have no tits and a tight box." I said to him, "Ernie, Get Off My Back!"

No comments: