Sunday, March 30, 2008

Activity

So my life has come down to essentially this: Since I returned from all my travels last June I've devoted my time to 1. rent my apartment and 2. learn the dueling piano canon. It took me all of 6 months but by Jan my apartment was finally rented. If any of you have seen or know my apartment, you know that it's a bit of an extravagant space and since I was renting it furnished replete with all the fussy decorations, etc I was extremely picky about whom I chose as my tenant. Another reason it took so long was because I chose to test the market, to see how much I could get for it. I originally overpriced the rent and then slowly brought the price down to reality. A good lesson. Finally, the main bedding area is up in a sleeping loft that is accessed by a ladder, which limits the upper age range of interested tenants. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the right person IS in there, and he seems to be treating the space with dignity, as I had hoped, and hasn't fallen out of the sleeping loft head first. So with the positive cash flow that generated, I rented a more humble space and have been living with piano and with my best friend, spending much of my time working on music. Well now I feel as though I'm spinning my wheels. I haven't actually worked a steady gig since December, and I'm feeling slothful [is that a word??]. So in spite of my practice, I felt that it was time to put some feelers out for employment. The interest was immediate. While I have received no offers yet, several possibilities have been presented to me, including Europe, the Caribbean, Southern California, and the most solid possibility so far,....wait for it....wait for it.... waaaaaiiiit...... Detroit!!! About 20 minutes after I got that phone call I saw a piece on CNN about how the Detroit mayor is being criminally prosecuted for perjury and, apparently as a result of this (alleged) perjury, has cost the tax payers of this "already cash-strapped city" like 9 million dollars, or some such nonsense. So I switched channels to CNBC, to learn only 5 minutes later that GM is closing yet another auto plant in Detroit which will cause more layoffs, penury and general misery in the Detroit area. Oh happy day! I'm packing my bags right now!

Oh, PS...am I the only one that consistently misspells "Caribbean"?

No comments: