Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blogging

When I returned from Florida, I found myself in the very bar in NYC that Brittle Ego Boy was performing at. (Remember him? My nemesis-turned-paper-dragon mentioned in an early December post) Not surprising, really, as I knew he would be there, but I was meeting a friend there before we would then chose a dining spot and it was a convenient location. The bartender that was working that room that evening was also a close friend of mine whom I hadn't seen for a couple months. As I sat down to wait for my dinner companion to arrive, he served me my usual and then turned to me, eyes wide open and exclaimed: "Oh! My! God! I read your blog post about Brittle Ego Boy!" (Brittle Ego Boy is singing in the backround as he says this.) Honestly, when I was writing that post, I had forgotten that my bartender friend is a consistent reader of my blog. He is also friendly with Brittle Ego Boy, perhaps even friends with him, and of course works with BEB every week. My friendly bartender continues, still wide-eyed and excited. "I wanted to print out your blog entry and post it in the employee area!!" Oh shit. This is the price for putting my life out on the blogosphere.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am aware that I really can't control who reads this blog; it's a public forum. But I also keep this blog anonymous, meaning that unless you know who I am before you come to this blog, you won't be able to easily figure out my identity by reading any of the entries. That's why I use nicknames or vague descriptors for friend and foe alike. I also don't use this blog with any kind of agenda, or to cause harm. I generally am aware of which of my friends and family read this, and I don't use it as a forum to manipulate anyone. I am always honest, even at the expense of showing my flaws and faults. My intent upon keeping the blog initially was as a place to collect my travelogues. Before that I sent them out via email to about 20 friends that had expressed interest in my wanderings. But it has grown beyond being a collection of travelogues into a personal journal, a practice in creative writing, and a place I collect information and pictures, so that I too will be able to read this in 5 or 10 years, much like looking at a photo album of my life, and remember what I was thinking, and some of my thoughts, attitudes, observations and experiences. But, having such a journal available to anyone can be complicated, and can backfire. Now, as far as having my bartender friend tape up my blog entry about Brittle Ego Boy in a place where he and all the people he worked with would see it, well it was a kind of funny idea, but it would have complicated my relationships with the people in Florida that had worked with BEB. My friend decided to be prudent and not print out my entry for all to read, and I appreciate that. Ultimately, however, I stand by everything I say in this blog, regardless of who reads it or what wall it is tacked up upon.

No comments: