Monday, December 22, 2008

Back in NYC

Yesterday I made the journey back to NYC, going from 75 degrees and sunny to 34 degrees, wintery mix and windy. Yeah it sucked, but I'm happy to be home. I was glad to be in FL, and the gig definitely stretched my abilities as an accompanist. I also had some amazing alone time, riding my bike all around this beautiful island at sunset, and just chilling out by the pool. I met up with some friends from NYC for dinner the last night I was there. We at a restaurant across the street from where I would be working in a short 2 hours. I had the Caribbean Grilled Red Snapper, and it was expertly cooked. The chef is a local celebrity and she made the rounds at the tables and we all complimented her on her food. Fast forward 2 hours, I was on stage performing across the street, and who walks in but Alice, the chef from across the street. So on the microphone I get everyone's attention and tell everyone that we should all applaud our celebrity chef Alice. And further, that I know she's an expert chef, because (wait for it....wait for it...waaaaiit...) "I just got done eating Alice's snapper!"

OK, it was supremely tacky, but funny as hell!

Earlier that day I was watching a street performer juggle fire while on a unicycle that was over 8 feet tall. It was amazing to see, but what was more entertaining was how he handled this woman who was heckling him. The two memorable zingers he threw out to her were: "Who lit the fuse on your tampon?" and then facing the crowd, "I remember when alcoholics used to be anonymous!"

The trip ended well. I made a new friend with one of the singers I worked with who also lives in NYC. (The guy who's name I forgot on stage.) The last night I got so much love from my audience, many of whom had been there every night to hear me perform. I don't know if I will ever want to go back, or even if I will be invited back. There are some serious personalities and politics at work here. But I do know that I did an outstanding job, and that the people that matter the most, the audiences, all knew it.

No comments: