Saturday, May 31, 2008

Things you wanna do before you die

When my (now) roommate "L" and I first met we were involved in an incident at a piano bar where I had worked at the time. It happened the week after 9/11, and only 1 mile from "ground zero." Tensions were high, of course and on this fateful night I was working behind the piano and "L" was there in the audience. Also in the audience was my crew of Monday night regulars, many of them ossified onto the bar stools upon which they had sat for many years. There was a temper flare, and one of the regulars (let's call him "Mike") badly insulted both me and my new friend. I lost my temper...I can truly say it was the only time in the past decade that I have ever lost my temper. I made a scene, or should I say exacerbated the existing scene. What came out of that night was a three year relationship with my new friend "L" and an animosity between me and "Mike" that lasted for years. I lost that job about a month or so later, and to this day I don't know if that scene had anything to do with it. But regardless, it was a good job to have, and an even better one to loose after having cut my teeth at the place for 2 years. Over the years, I have made peace with Mike, who before 9/11 had been my friend. Meanwhile "L" and I have gone from being lovers to ex-lovers to best friends and finally roommates (sans privileges, thank you very much!) Last night I brought "L" back to the scene of the crime, and there was Mike, sitting at the piano, 8 years later. "L" had really never forgiven "Mike" for this incident, but there we all were, and by the end of the night "L" and "Mike" were buying drinks for each other like they were old friends. There was hugs, tears and promises of everlasting friendship, etc, etc. A beautiful thing!

No comments: