Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Two Girls, One Cup

Am I the last person to see this video???!!!

Ok...so i watched it. I didn't know what it was but I knew I was expected to react. Because of this expectation I didn't want to react. But it's just about an impossible task. I reacted. Then I watched some of the reaction videos on YouTube. Grandma and Kermit were my two favorites. I immediately began thinking of bits for dueling pianos. If you listen to the original Two Girls, One Cup video, there is a very distinct music track consisting of a piano and synthesized strings. If I were to play that music on stage, would people recognize it? Two Girls, One Cup is now part of our popular culture. If you watch the original video it certainly makes an indelible impression. I can't help but wonder if that impression would include the innocuous background music? When a traumatic event occurs, don't all your senses imprint? And if after watching the original video you then go on to watch all the reaction videos(which I did) you hear the original soundtrack in the backround several more times. Enough to imprint? Perhaps. And if people do recognize the music as I play it onstage, what will they do? How will they react? I think they will scream and stomp their feet and say...Oh my God!! Do you know what he's playing????!!!!

No comments: