Wednesday, November 19, 2008

memorizing Abba, working in VA, hand pain

Yesterday I received a call from a dueler that I worked with for a week in NC asking me to work with him at a new room he is booking in VA. It's a one weekend gig, but as with all others, could lead to more work. Currently I have a couple of Abba songs that I'm trying to memorize. One of them is Thank You For The Music, which is a song I have played every night for many years as my closing song, but I had never bothered to memorize! What's interesting about Abba is that many of their songs (including Dancing Queen) have a much more complex chord structure than you'd ever expect for a Euro-pop band--so much so that I could play a song for years and not automatically memorize it. It may seem strange but unless I really approach a song with intent to memorize it, I won't memorize it, no matter how long and often I play it.

In other, more troubling news, I have had an arthritic-like pain in my right hand for several days now. I've never experienced this before, but it's definitely there. I'm hoping it's a muscle pain from sleeping on it the wrong way, or doing a new excercise a few days ago using push-up grips that my roommate had lying around the apartment. But, it's made me think about what I would do if I couldn't play the piano again. I guess at this point I won't give it too much thought unless it persists. It's certainly not bad enough to interfere with my playing.

No comments: